First you need a TOS fibre cable 1.8m in length. These can be sourced on eBay
for about $2 each. I picked up 4 including postage for $10
You also need a piece of dowel rod about 10mm in diameter, some electrical
tape and a hot air gun (Paint Stripper type) and two sizes of heat shrink
tubing. One slightly bigger than the TOS cable and one slightly bigger again.
- Cut each end connector off the TOS cable
- Find a point 100mm from the end of the cable and tape it to the dowel
along the rod.
- Start winding the TOS around the dowel until you get to 100mm from the
- Tape the end the same as the beginning.
- Set the heat gun to medium high. You may need to experiment a little
here. To hot will destroy the cable.
- Run the hot air over the cable and dowel for about 3 minutes.
- Let it cool and then remove the tape.
- For the Inon strobes you will need to remove the cable cap and remove
the old fibre cable
- You will notice a thick end, you may have to cut this off to reuse the
- Place the cap and rubber boot over the end of the TOS.
- Cut a piece of the smaller heat shrink about 8mm
- Place it over one end of the TOS and heat it until it shrinks into
- Place the next size heat shrink over the other heat shrink and heat into
- You now have about 8mm of thick end on the TOS
- use a Stanley knife or a razor blade and cut around the heat shrink
½mm to 1mm and expose the inside glass.
- Re-assemble the cap and its now ready for use.